“If at first you don’t succeed, try, try and try again” is how the motto goes I believe, and I am nothing if not determined. Thus I am at the second of the three tries for the diabetic-friendly strawberry cupcake!
I adapted the recipe slightly, decreasing the ratio of wet:dry ingredients and increasing the bake time, as I think that both the batter being too wet and the opening of the oven door too early were contributing factors to the sinking cupcakes of the first attempt. I also tried improving my icing recipe by incorporating a homemade strawberry puree, having made the puree using a sugar-substitute. The result was a cake with no sinking/sloppy middle, but I think I may have gone a bit too far the other way because the texture has become very close, rather than fluffy, which is what you are aiming for in a decent cupcake. Additionally, the icing, whilst tasty, was a little too runny to pipe properly because I added too much puree.
Thus, I shall progress on to try number three; slightly increasing the wet ingredients again but not so much as I used in try number one, and I will also alter the ratio of puree to sugar-substitute icing sugar in the cream cheese icing. I have high hopes for the third attempt!